Monday, November 24, 2014

I Hope the Baby Likes Chili

I am now less than one month from my December 20 due date. I haven't washed the diapers, cleaned and set up the baby's room, or purchased any nursing apparel yet, but I do have two and a half gallons of venison chili in the freezer.


And the world's worst photo to prove it.

Yesterday at 10 a.m., A. retrieved the doe from the barn and got to work. He skinned, cut up, boned, chopped, and browned the entire deer (minus the backstraps and tenderloin, which we panfried for dinner). Then he chopped three pounds of onions and two entire heads of garlic. He dumped in several large cans of tomatoes, I added a large amount of chili powder, cumin, and epazote, and by 7 p.m., we had an enormous pot of chili.

So if you've ever wondered, one doe equals 2.5 gallons of chili. I'm sure that calculation will come in handy for you one day.

A. also made a couple of gallons of stock from the bones. I still have to find room in the freezer for that. And enough jar lids.

Then I need to wash diapers, clean the baby's room, and buy nursing apparel. But at least I have the chili. Priorities.

7 comments:

tu mere said...

I thought you were joking about making the whole doe into chili. Yep, you're ready for that new born now.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Any reason you can't can the stock, but have to freeze it instead?

Anonymous said...

Yay for A. That's an awesome way to help. Was it a fairly small deer then?

-moi

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mere: Would I joke about something like that?

Drew: I could can it, if I had three hours I wanted to spend pressure canning. Freezing is faster.

Moi: Not terribly small for a doe, but A. decided not to be overly concerned with taking hours with the trimming and stuff. He figured he'd rather just shoot another deer than fuss around trimming all the bits and pieces that don't add up to too much meat.

Anonymous said...

have you ever tried freezing stuff in those heavy duty zip lock bags? I do almost everything in them, including stock. Once frozen they stack like well hotcakes and if they fall out of the freezer, nothing shatters and ruins food. Guess how I know that?!?

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Seconded. I've done chili, pulled pork, and stock in freezer bags.

Joan S said...

Hey, your baby is due on my 59th anniversary! I follow your blog all the time, but don't comment. Some of what you do, I don't see how you do it without exploding all over everyone around you! But then, you probably have more patience than I do!!

JoanS