Monday, July 7, 2014

A.P.D.--Baking vs. Cooking Edition

I have never been good at following directions. I was always that student being reminded to read the directions carefully, because I never did. Too impatient, I guess.

I suppose this is why I'm such a hilariously deficient baker.

I regularly forget to add the baking soda, or use twice as much butter as a recipe calls for, or something similarly ridiculous.

I also don't like following recipes when I cook, for the same reason. Although with cooking, there's a lot more room for error. I'm a good cook, mostly because I hardly ever follow a recipe, which means I can't really screw up too badly.

So I suppose what it comes down to is that I'm much too feckless to be a good baker, but cooking is sloppy and imprecise enough that I can get away with it.

And now, my lovelies, let's hear from you. Are you a skilled baker? An accomplished cook? Or do you avoid them both and rely instead on the supermarket for your food?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer to bake because I *know* I have to follow the directions. When I cook from other recipes, my first thought is often "yeah, THAT'S not gonna happen - I don't have all that stuff." And I start modifying like crazy. Spices, times, ingredients, everything. Much like you. Funny how that happens.

-moi

sheila said...

I can bake quite well, but prefer not to anymore. Too fiddly and not all that healthy for me anyway. Simple cooking with lots of veggies is where I'm at now.

Anonymous said...

I don't do either very well, and prefer to rely on my husband's culinary skills, but if it comes down to it, I'm a directions needed kind of gal, so baking would be what I prefer. Unfortunately, it's just the two of us, and we don't really eat many sweets.

-Susan in NC

tu mere said...

When baking something new, I follow the directions for the rising ingredients, but usually modify or substitute the taste ingredients. Guess when you've been cooking as long as I have, you kind of know what tastes good to you and what doesn't.

You're better off making great meals. As far as calories go, a freezer full of ice cream (or a peanut butter ice cream cake) trumps baked goods any day.

Anonymous said...

I used to bake, but I barely cook any more now that the husband has taken over. Mary in MN

mil said...

Cooking, baking,or preserving, I like to study the techniques and observe the results. And I'm still wondering why Marcella Hazan's risotto recipes do not call for wine. They should. So if anyone has an explanation, I'm listening.

Joellen said...

I can bake. I can make really good cornbread, muffins, and cookies. I can make a cake, but if I try to make a layer cake I cannot assemble it. Therefore, if I make a cake I just cook it in a 9X13 pan. I am like you when it comes to cooking (rarely follow a recipe). If I am making something new I will leave out thing and add things not called for. It drives my mother crazy.

Lindsey @ Half Dime Homestead said...

I do both in equal amounts. But baking I follow the recipe to the letter and cooking, I never follow anything but my whim.

I think I can count the amount of times I've used an actual recipe for a dinner dish on one hand.

I like to think of it as "intuitive cooking".... :-)

carson said...

I like to bake and to cook but I think overall I like cooking better. I hate always using white flour and other less healthy ingredients.