Monday, April 14, 2014

It's Like He Doesn't Know Me At All

Cubby is sick again. Just a cold, and not nearly as severe as the last nasty thing he had a month ago, but still sick. This means, of course, that he must have chicken soup.

I think I mentioned to him one time about a year ago that chicken soup can help make colds go away, so now every time he's sick, he must have chicken soup. With potatoes, because noodles and rice are forbidden. He must have the magic elixir or heads will roll. Specifically, Mommy's head.

So when he came downstairs this morning snuffling and whining about snuffling, I knew chicken soup would be dinner tonight. I had chicken broth on hand, two quarts left from when we got rid of the chickens and I made and canned a few gallons of broth. I had vegetables. I did not, however, have any chicken.

I figured I could make the soup minus the chicken and just ask A. to pick up a rotisserie chicken on his way home. That way I could just shred it quickly and add it to the soup in time to eat.

So I called A. at work. I asked him to stop at the store and explained that Cubby wanted chicken soup. Before I could get to the part about A. buying the chicken for me, he said, "Okay, so just a can of Campbell's or something?"

What? Campbell's? Has he not been living in the same house with me for the past decade?

It's not as if I didn't eat my share of Campbell's soup growing up--minestrone was my personal favorite--but I don't eat it now. I mean, I have nothing against Campbell's, it's just . . . okay, yes. Yes, I do have something against it: It tastes terrible. And I could imagine Cubby's reaction if I served that salt-laden, watery mess with (God forbid) noodles to him in place of his beloved life-giving chicken soup with potatoes.

Pretty sure it wouldn't go over well.

I set A. straight and he dutifully went to the store. They didn't have rotisserie chickens at the small market near his office, so he bought some chicken tenders instead. Not Campbell's. Wise man.

Cubby loved his soup. He says he's feeling better already. Crisis averted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mommy to the rescue.....such special memories for him. I guess you know you will be making this soup for the restof his life and after you are gone..in his memory. Beth
Snow in the next big town over last night freeze warbubg tonight.
81 degrees day before yesterday.

tu mere said...

I was thinking that, with Cubby's lifestyle, he'd be less sick than most. Guess with just the normal school, library visits that's enough. May be this will give him a great immune system for adulthood, or not.

Here's an easter wish/prayer from moi - that Cubby's cold is gone quickly and that not one of y'all pick up on any of it. Seems like all the family has suffered through enough colds and other illnesses this winter to give you a pass through most of this year.

Sister’s Sailor said...

A could have gotten some canned chicken breast...you know, the tuna of the barnyard!

Joellen said...

I missed something. I thought I read all of your post. When did you get rid of the chickens?

Hope Cubby feels better soon.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Joellen: You didn't miss anything. We dispatched the chickens this past summer--for a lot of reasons--and I think I meant to write about it and then kind of . . . didn't. Probably got sidetracked by diapers or snotty kids or something equally mommy-bloggish.

Obviously, I would never claim this blog is a 100% inclusive record of my life.

Daisy said...

Oh, chicken soup! Do you not keep a batch of random chicken scraps in your freezer, labeled "chicken for soup"? Oh, I forgot you have two boys. You probably don't have leftovers very often! :)