Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Fun Loving

I am not a Fun Mom. It's just not in my nature. No one would ever use the words "spontaneous" or "adventurous" to describe me. I play with my kids, I tickle them, I laugh at Cubby's (very stupid, because he is four) jokes, but fun? Not really.

Mostly this doesn't bother me, because I figure we should all play to our strengths. My strengths include creating a fairly well ordered home with an established routine and never-fail meals. Not such a bad thing.

But Cubby is not like me. He loves surprises, unexpected adventures, and novelty. So I occasionally make the effort to be more fun for his sake. It is an effort, though, make no mistake. Being fun is tiring for me.

On Monday, we went to the big playground for the first time this year. This playground is on a point sticking out into the lake, and for this reason it is always hellishly windy and freezing (except in the summer, but we don't go there in the summer because it's a state park and therefore costs money in the summer). But it was sunny and right on the edge of acceptable weather for this park, so after naps, we got in the car and went.

It was indeed hellishly windy and freezing, but the children were thrilled with the playground and even more thrilled with the (even windier) beach there. Cubby collected several crayfish claws and other shells, with which he has played a continuous involved game of . . . something ever since. I've heard occasional mentions of a daddy lobster and a grandfather lobster, but I really have no idea what's going on there. All I know is that the claws keep turning up in unexpected places, which is kind of unsettling.

Yesterday we went to the village where A.'s office is located and we had a picnic dinner at the playground there. Once again, the children were thrilled with the playground. A. was thrilled with the potatoes and sausage I brought along so he could have dinner before he started driving all over the county for various night courts. I was . . . maybe not thrilled, exactly, but happy that everyone else was happy.

It's worth the effort to sometimes do different things, and I know that the rest of the family appreciates it. Just the same, I think we're going to stay home this afternoon. There's only so much fun I can take.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not a "fun mom" either. Green oatmeal for St Patty's day is about the pinnacle of my successes. But, I figure I do a lot of others things right, and act as a good role model for my daughter (most of the time).

Spontaneous fun can be so exhausting, I agree

-moi

Anonymous said...

I can identify with you completely. On the rare occasions when I collapse in laughter or make an insanely funny comment I sense that people look at me and think, "Wow, I've never, ever heard her do that before!" It's just not in my nature. However, sometimes my adult children make comments about their childhood that surprise me. After offering to take my 4.5 year old grandson to the local fair, his Mom (my daughter) said, "Oh, I wish I could come to. I remember how much fun we had when you took us to the fair when we were kids."

I don't have a great sense of humor, but I enjoyed doing things like sewing crazy Hallowe'en costumes, decorating special birthday cakes and taking the kids camping in summer. I guess I counted on their Dad and others in the extended circle of family and friends to provide the more frequent occasions of laughter in my kids' lives. I think that works, too.
Ruth from Canada

tu mere said...

My thought is grandparent status will go a long way in taking care of that supposed lack. Something to look forward to; your metamorphosis into a "spontaneous" fun bobby.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

I read that whole post and loved it and then got stuck on the fact that "Night Courts" actually exist.

I seriously thought that was just a TV show from the early 90's.

flask said...

*shrug*

you seem fun to me.