Friday, April 11, 2014

A.P.D.--The Morning Clothing Edition

There was a time in my life when I would roll out of bed, put on sweatpants, a robe, and some slippers, and shuffle into my day. Later, after A. left for work, I would either shower and get dressed or put on work clothes and do whatever manual labor was required that day before taking a shower and getting dressed when I finished.

Then I had a baby.

I realized early on that nursing a baby in a robe was really awkward. And that if I didn't get dressed as soon as I got out of bed, there was a likelihood of not getting dressed at all.

Then I had a toddler.

At this phase, I had to be dressed and in clothing that was acceptable for public viewing first thing upon waking up, because if I didn't put acceptable clothing on my body when I got up, there was a likelihood that a potential trip to the library later in the day might be canceled because I was wearing the flannel-lined jeans covered with Great Stuff, in which I could not possibly be seen in public, and going all the way back upstairs to change was too daunting a prospect to face.

(That was a horrible run-on sentence of a paragraph, but I'm letting it stand. Sorry.)

It's really much better to just put on presentable jeans and a fleece first thing. It's certainly no harder than pulling on sweatpants or whatever. Our house is too cold most of the year to wander around in my sleeping clothes anyway, so if I have to put on the extra layers, they might as well be real clothes.

At this stage of my life, I actually put my clothing out for the next day before I go to sleep at night. It's all in a pile on the corner of my dresser: shirt on the bottom, jeans on top of that, long underwear on top of that if it's long underwear season. Socks next to the pile. Slippers on the floor next to the dresser. Any bulky sweater or fleece is hung on the banister right outside our bedroom door.

It's pretty much like a blind person setting up for dressing, which is essentially what I am because more often than not, I get dressed in the dark. I need to make a minimum of noise and disturbance lest I wake the demon/cherubs. I do not want to see their shining faces at 5:30 in the morning, so I dress stealthily and creep downstairs as quietly as possible.

So what about you, my lovelies? What's your morning attire look like?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My clothes for the day go on first thing...stacked on a dining room chair in the order I put them on...socks(folded inside each other) stuck on the finial of the chair back.
Today it is pedal pushers( the only pair I own,free), t-shirt , underclothes, high top tennies(my 1985 pair) and short socks. Warm weather coming your way for a few days anyway. Beth

Anonymous said...

I do choose in the am what I will be wearing, but it's either work clothes (often plucked from a stack in my closet of not 100% clean, but clean enough to wear) or workout clothes. If I don't work, I usually jog with the dogs as my daughter rides to school. So, either scooped out of a pile, or out of the workout drawer. Not a lot of variety.......

-moi

Anonymous said...

Two choices: (a) teaching days, it's nice pants, T-shirt, and dressy over shirt or sweater; (b) home days, it's PJs and robe until I get my grading, writing, etc. done, and then it's sweats. Mary in MN

tu mere said...

Whatever my day dictates, which pretty much is my choice. Pretty sweet, actually. But then you have to be classified as a senior citizen, so I guess there is a downside.