Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blood for Syrup

Yesterday's sugarin' was very successful, yielding about three gallons of syrup.  It was also very long.  A. started the fire in the evaporator at 6:30 a.m. and I finished straining and jarring the syrup at 11 p.m.

That's a long day.

My part of the process always comes at the end, when the syrup is brought in and I strain it through felt and ladle it into the jars I've washed earlier.  This year, my labors were made more difficult thanks to the injury I sustained while in the sugarin' area.

I was out there with Cubby and Charlie, and I tripped over a piece of wood pallet that was in the walkway.  I was wearing Charlie at the time, so I couldn't catch myself with my hands.  My entire weight--plus Charlie's--landed on my right knee.

It was terrifying not only because it's always terrifying to fall like that, but also because the baby was strapped face-out on my front.  Mercifully, my knee broke the fall before I fell forward too much, and Charlie was only startled a little bit.

I, however, have a sort-of deep hole in my knee where I appear to have landed on a rock or piece of concrete and one very, very sore knee.  I can't bend it real well at the moment, so going up and down stairs is something of an ordeal at this point.

It could have been much, much worse, though, and if the only blood sacrifice required by the syrup is from my knee instead of Charlie's face, I'm okay with that.

Plus, we just ate blueberry pancakes with about a pint of maple syrup, so life is really pretty good right now, injuries notwithstanding.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boys are really lucky you like being a part of all the hullabaloo! They are learning SO much.
Being hurt makes you that much more thankful when you are well and able bodied.
Sometimes we forget what a complex system our body is and that it can heal itself, thankfully.
You will be selling syrup in no time. :) If you aren't you should...if one days cooking brought you 3 gallons.
Beth
I wondered...did Cubby come running to see what was happening...you know,to see what grand adventure you and Charlie were having that he was missing out on? :)

Joellen said...

Ouch! Just reading that hurt me. Glad it was not worse for you and that Charlie was uninjured.

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

Jenn went knees-first down the last three steps while carrying the baby about two or three months ago. I could tell it hurt, but she was absolutely freaked out about almost dropping Luna.

She was still complaining about the sore shin several weeks after. Actually, it might still be bothering her and she just hasn't mentioned it lately. I should go check.

tu mere said...

Oh my. Watching you going up and down hills with Charlie enjoying the sights kind of prepared me for your story of an eventual fall. However, if OSHA were involved, someone would have been in serious trouble for leaving a pallet in the walkway. Good thing you're not running a syrup business.

Really a blessing that you were the only one affected. Since you are and have been powering your way through so much, what's one more ache/pain, right?

Phoo-D said...

Ouch! I'm glad that you took the brunt of it not Charlie, but sorry for the injury. It is so scary to fall while holding a child. I fell down some stairs onto concrete a few months back and the scare was almost worse than the bruised knees. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I used a felt filter ONCE. It took so much longer to wait for the syrup to go through it , I never used it again.
If we want clear syrup, we just let it sit in buckets in the spare refrigerator to settle out then pour it ,minus the settlings , into a pan to heat it. Sorry to hog the comments. Beth

Anonymous said...

Ow ow ow ow.

Falling with a babe is so scary we always seem to contort ourselves and hurt ourselves more.

Mmmmmmm. Sugaring time. Best harbinger of spring *ever*.