Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Mack Daddy

A. got a new car.  And by "new," I mean 1996.  And by "car," I mean . . .


Oh yes, he did.

That right there is a Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon.  It can haul as much as a truck, because it's HUUUGE. 


Cubby approves.  Mia is still investigating.

When A. said he was going to look at a Roadmaster, I was all, "What?"  And he was all, "You know, those enormous wood-paneled station wagons."  And I was all, "Hey, could a car scream 'family man' more than that one?"  And he was all, "No way.  It's pimpin'."

He was right.  But it does scream "Mack Daddy," don't you think?


Room for the kids?  Sure! Even our behemoths.


Two fists up and a gummy grin from Charlie.

I don't know why, but my favorite part of this thing is that it has the third backseat that faces backwards.  Not that A. will ever use that seat, since it will probably be permanently folded down to make way for bags of mortar or pieces of wood or whatever.  But I'm gonna ride in that backwards seat at least one time.

It also has a sunroof.  And an enormous trailer hitch.  And a V-8 engine.  Plus, obviously, room for the children, AND a back area big enough for a grown man to sleep in, should that be necessary. It is, in summary, A.'s dream machine.

It's nice to make a dream come true sometimes.  Even if it's only the acquisition of a wood-paneled station wagon.

9 comments:

Sister’s Sailor said...

Just remember, it is much like driving a ship-you have to plan well in advance on when you want to stop and turn. Oh and backing up will be much fun!

Joellen said...

Love the wagon! We always had station wagons when I was growing up. We had Chevrolets, but they had the back facing third seat. I loved to sit back there!

I hope ya'll enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of one we had when I was very little, before the days of seat belts (am I dating myself?grin). My parents would leave the back folded down like you have it in your picture for long car trips. It was like riding in a big play pen. If you have a drive-in theater anywhere nearby, that car is PERFECT for it, especially with that third seat!
Chris in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Well now , the woodchuck just moved up a notch to woodgrainchuck.
I think it is wonderful and will be great for long trips. Beth

tu mere said...

Totally A.

Anonymous said...

I remember a trip riding backwards. I had eaten a huge breakfast of blueberry pancakes. Bad memory.

Roger A. Post said...

That's what we used to call a real "tank."

FinnyKnits said...

That thing is fucking awesome.

Not to come over here and just start swearing my face off, but COME ON! That thing is totally pimp.

And I agree - you should totally ride backward in it at least once. My mom had two wagons when I was growing up - first a Volvo and then a Chevy Celebrity - and both had the backward facing seats which we FOUGHT TO THE DEATH over when getting in the car.

Then we all got ill riding in the "way back" and so my mom started insisting that we sit elsewhere in the car.

Good times.

Karen B. @ Making Shift said...

That is a mighty fine vehicle. I'd road trip in that. We have a 1991 Volvo wagon that we love for all the same reasons, including the rear-facing seat. I've found that when you ride in the rear-facing seat that the people in the car behind you laugh at you a lot. It's fun.