Saturday, March 17, 2012

And I'm Not Sorry, Either

After a fairly crappy day yesterday thanks to pouring rain and The Boy Who Wouldn't Sleep, I was not enthused about going freezer diving to find something to cook for dinner. Which is why when A. had to go to the nearby village for a haircut, Cubby and I tagged along to go to the market.

Also to get out the house. See: pouring rain and no sleeping.

Pork chops were on sale, so I got some of those. And, giving in to a nagging craving I've had ever since a random discussion with my sister on the deliciousness of tater tots, I got some of those too. I hadn't had tater tots in probably ten years, so I was a little afraid it would end up being one of those things where the taste of nostalgia is somehow nauseating in the present day. But what the hell. It was Friday. Might as well get wild.

These two things, along with some frozen peas, were dinner. The sum total of my "cooking" involved opening bags, sprinkling some random spice mix on the pork chops before shoving them in the oven with the tater tots, and putting butter on the peas.

It was really weird making dinner without peeling, chopping, or otherwise prepping anything. But you know what? It was pretty good. And those tater tots were everything I remembered them to be. That is, delicious*. How satisfying.

* Incidentally, Cubby only ate one tater tot. He liked saying the name, but didn't seem to care much about the actual foodstuff. What kind of two-year-old doesn't like tater tots, for God's sake?

5 comments:

Drew @ Willpower Is For Fat People said...

Hah! You've raised a kid who likes (and expects) real food. Hahahahahahhaa!

I get to laugh, because when our girls were about 5 and 7 we were at a party with them. Mom and I were standing there eating pizza and chips, and the girls were fighting over the last piece of broccoli.

Roger A. Post said...

Surely a wise child not to like something called "tater tots"!

sheila said...

Cubby knows if it comes out of a box it isn't real food.... smart boy!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

This is bringing back dinners with my father as a child - tater tots and cheez whiz.

Don't even get me started on the velveeta sandwiches....

FinnyKnits said...

I'm afraid you're raising a worldly wise man, there.

Though I do love Tater Tots, myself.