Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Worse than a Mouse Head

Dead animals (or animal pieces, as the case may be) don't exactly fill me with the warm fuzzies, but you know what really makes me ill? Medical shows. I had a friend in high school who would watch those surgery shows for hours. She found it fascinating. I found it nauseating.

So imagine my excitement yesterday when I went to the dentist and the TV in my room was tuned to Dr. Oz (and is it just me, or does he look like a Vulcan?). I appreciate my dentist's attempts to be all modern and accommodating to those who are prisoners in his chairs, but I really felt like a prisoner as I averted my eyes and tried very hard not to listen to a segment on parasites. Tried not to listen to the lady who described foaming at the mouth and seizing due to the parasite in her brain. DEFINITELY didn't look when they were showing computer imaging of where in your body the parasites go. Tried to ignore the biologist explaining with unnecessary glee how you could contract a parasite from tiny eggs on the lettuce leaves in your salad at a sidewalk cafe.

Seriously. WHY WOULD YOU WATCH THIS? Wouldn't watching a show all about medical problems just make you a paranoid wreck of a hypochondriac?

Obviously, I failed to block it out completely. I think it will haunt me forever.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching a show like that would send me straight to the looney bin. I always check, double-check, then TRIPLE-check that Tivo is not recording those shows for me, because LA LA LA if I ignore the microscopic worms and parasites, then they do not exist.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a new teaching method that should be tried in schools ... strap the kid down in a dentist chair , turn on the tv and learn. I have wondered if I have some kind of parasite.. :)

Seren Dippity said...

My mother is a hard core addict to shows like 60 minutes and whatever the latest scientific reveal all show is.
She saw a show several years ago that discussed IN DETAIL dust mites. Dad said she was vacuuming their mattress at midnight.

I agree with jiveturkey.

LA LA LA...

Pat said...

Sounds like some inquiring minds DON'T WANT TO KNOW. I would have asked the dentist to either change the channel or turn the volume OFF. I am VERY queasy.

FinnyKnits said...

That's a whole lotta *LA LA LA I can't hear you* I never want to know about.

I watched someone get plastic surgery on TV once and it was the scariest thing ever.

Even though I'd love a boob lift and some lipo - I'll never do it because of that show. EW - like a fat vacuum in there! EW!

Phoo-D said...

LOL, you crack me up as usual! I can not stand to watch these shows either. In fact I find them just as bad as horror movies- I can't even watch horror movie commercials. I cover my eyes and look away while Mr. B laughs...