Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Cheery Start to the Morning

We don't really eat cold cereal in the winter, because it's, well, cold and so is our house. We eat a lot more oatmeal and eggs and things. But in the summer, cold cereal once again comes into its own at our house. Specifically, Cheerios.

Besides being sugar-free and relatively healthy, as well as the snack of choice for very small children, Cheerios are THE best cereal to eat topped with berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries . . . they're all yummy on Cheerios. The MiL went to the U-Pick a couple of days ago to get strawberries. She was shocked at how few there were--a late frost got them or something--and she came home with only a couple of quarts. Not enough to make jam, but enough for my Cheerios.

And so this morning, I'm eating my Cheerios topped with strawberries. I also add sugar, because I ALWAYS add sugar to berries. I also always add sugar to cereals like Cheerios and Grape-Nuts, thereby negating some of their health benefits and driving A. crazy because he thinks sugar on cereal is an abomination. Good thing he's not here.

Another lovely addition that also compromises the healthfulness of this breakfast is a tiny bit of heavy cream along with the milk. Sadly, we do not have any heavy cream at the moment, so I had to go without that indulgence. Still tastes pretty damn good, though.

What's your favorite cereal, duckies?

16 comments:

mdvelazquez said...

I rarely eat cereal. When I do, I eat granola with yogurt. I don't do milk. :-)

My husband love Cheerios and always adds sugar.

I dislike milk so much that when I had to eat cereal as a child I would eat corn flakes with peanut butter and cheddar cheese.

Aunt Krissy said...

Peanut Butter Capt' Crunch. With evaporated milk mixed with plain milk. I can eat the whole box so I only get it a few times a year.

Anonymous said...

Cap'n Crunch w/ crunch berries.
Altho, I did have peach yogurt w/ grape nuts trail mix crunch yesterday for breakfast, so I know how to eat healthy...sometimes I choose not to :)

mil said...

On top of my Cheerios, I carefully arranged whole berries all around the rim of the bowl, and then I put one right in the center (all with pointed ends up, of course). No sugar. I ate them outside, with my coffee, while reading and watching a male oriole flash his orangeness at me in the morning sun. Perfect.

mil said...

P.S. I forgot one of the perfections--I used the coin silver spoon that A gave me.

Susan said...

Heavy cream, yes! We grew up on non-sugared cereals and I discovered that a splash of heavy cream made all the difference. Still does. I put a sprinkle of sugar on, too, but only when the kids aren't looking.

Kathleen said...

Cheerios is one of my favorites too. I have ALWAYS put sugar on them...something my grandmother did for me when I was a tot, and it stuck for life. The berries and bananas are the greatest on the oat delights. Who in their right freakin' mind would NOT put sugar on berried, or banana'd or just plain old cereal now?! Get real y'all.

SaintTigerlily said...

Ha!! HONEY NUT CHEERIOS. Love love love. The Boss eats Chocolate Pebbles or something like that - but they give me a headache.

Carrie said...

I would eat cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I could. I love it. Lately I've been eating Honey Nut Cheerios, but before that it was Lucky Charms and before that it was Coco Puffs! Those come with a bonus of chocolate milk at the end, so they're my favorite.

Garden Pheenix said...

lol that sounds more like a dessert!

FinnyKnits said...

I do like the Kashi Heart to Heart stuff, but sometimes I decide not to be such a grown up and mix in some Cap'n Crunch because that shit is good. Even though it rips the roof of my mouth.

So worth it.

Daisy said...

Mmm. Cereal is our "school routine" breakfast because it's fast and easy. In the summer, I'll pull out cereal when we have fresh berries, but I skip the sugar! :) More often, summer means toast from homemade bread.

Sweet Bird said...

On the rare occasion I imbibe in cold cereal it is usually plain Cheerios - which is what I had for breakfast this morning.

Sometimes I totally grub on the Golden Graham or Fruit Loops though...

Melissa said...

I'm with Carrie. I could eat cold cereal for every meal. Cheerios & Kix are probably my favorite of the non-sugared cereals, but I really go for the sugared stuff! The ones that all the little kids want. And I went through a phase where I only used skim milk, but that is over. I only use 2% now.

rls said...

Grape Nuts. Or Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch if I'm feeling naughty.

Did you ever figure out the address bar thingy?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I did! A combination of Phoo-D's recommendation to try F-11 and Sweet Bird's to drag things around. It's all better now.