Sunday, June 28, 2009

When Chickens Are Chicken

Our chickens are refusing to come out of their coop. Ever since the tree fell on Thursday, they've been hanging around inside, avoiding their little chicken door and eating food that I have to buy at the farm store, instead of all those free bugs in the great outdoors. This has got to stop.

They appear to be afraid of the large, water-filled hole outside their door left by the roots of the tree when it ripped up. It also doesn't help, I suspect, that the big mat of roots itself is hovering over the hole, looming over their chicken door. Although the chickens could technically get around the hole, they do not seem inclined to try. I'm at a loss as to what to do here. I can't fill the hole until the tree is disposed of. That won't happen until A. is home to run his chainsaw. Which is another nine days. Not that I'm counting or anything.

I guess the chickens will just have to remain under voluntary coop arrest until then.

7 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

If they get hungry enough, they'll come out. Don't be an enabler.

Of course, I don't have to hear the clucking.

Chiot's Run said...

That's too funny. It's interesting how animals see things sometimes.

Heather @ It's A Lovely Life! said...

chickens being chicken... I love it...

Anonymous said...

Take an old board you have laying around and lay it from their chicken door entrance to the other side of the hole. Giving them a clear way to get out and they will go. Or flag down one of the good ol boys w/ a chainsaw in the back of his truck. :)

jean said...

Can you cover the water hole? Maybe if they don't see it they'll come out. Poor A. is going to busy when he comes home.

Sweet Bird said...

I think I'd stay inside too if I had material evidence that the sky was falling...

Amy said...

ROFL @ Sweet Bird's comment. Hee...