Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lowlights and Highlights--Labor Day Edition

Hey, look at me. I started a tradition or something.

Lowlights of the long weekend:

1) Sunday morning--a graphic reminder that I am no longer 21 years old and should not attempt to drink as if I am.

2) Slicing my hand open while fencing. I'm kinda tired of cutting myself.

3) Driving all over creation Saturday morning in search of firewood, but not finding what we wanted.

4) The sun at The Great New York State Fair. I swear it's 10 degrees hotter at the fairgrounds than anywhere else.

5) Tomatoes will not stop ripening. I didn't harvest for two days. Then I did. CODE RED!

Highlights of the long weekend:

1) Discovering the Friar Tuck's Belgian Fries stand at The Great New York State Fair. True love.

2) Getting the electric fence working again so the dogs will stop running into the road to chase the evil cyclists.

3) A.'s high school reunion. Before I drank like a frat boy during rush week and made myself sick, I had a great time. Which is probably because I drank like a frat boy during rush week.

4) Talking to the nice Amish lady at one place we went to for firewood (they were out). She told me there's an old saying, "When the onion skins are tough, the winter will be rough." Her onion skins are very tough, apparently. Guess we should really work on getting that wood.

5) Finding out my parents will be coming to visit us. This coming weekend. How spontaneous of them. But it's a good thing they're coming now--I can make them help me can tomatoes. (Just kidding, Mom and Dad! I wouldn't do that to you! Unless you wanted to help keep your poor, tomato-exhausted daughter from a tomato-induced breakdown . . . )

How was your weekend?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My weekend was pretty lame. Saturday: naps and movies. Sunday: road trip and family reunion. Monday: recovering from "big day" on Sunday with more naps and movies. Did not shower until 4pm. House is a mess. Weee! But I am glad you partied enough for the both of us on Saturday night. Good times.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Lessee, lowlights ...
* Waking up too late Sunday morning to go down and help mount the spits over the fire for the ox roast.
* Cutting into the beef ans seeing that there was very little rare there.
* Staring into a fridge so full of leftovers I just know a bunch of it will go bad before we're able to eat it all.

Highlights ...
* Great turnout for the birthday party.
* Sitting down and talking with the elderly couple across the street and finding out they're really cool. And she's an editor. And wants to see a draft of my second edition.
* Sleeping in Monday, because the kids were at their grandparents.

Tina Post said...

As one of those people who still gets to work on labor day (yipee) my weekend was so uneventful as to have neither highlights nor lowlights. Sad...

I'm glad your parents are coming! Cause you're one of those people whose parents live, like, far away...

SaraPMcC said...

Highlights of the long weekend:

1) Seeing the nieces and one nephew

2) Seeing my sister and brother-in-law's new house and enjoying drinks on their deck

3) The newest nephew finally went home from the hospital!

4) Having Friday and Monday off, making the weekend even longer

5) Playing cards and winning all the money at the table

Lowlights of the long weekend:

1) Having to drive seven hours both ways to see the family

2) Still not getting enough sleep

3) It ended

krysta said...

my weekend was not as fun as yours. that's all i have to say about that!

It's me said...

Highlights:
6 quarts pickles, 7 quarts strawberry peaches, 15? pints honey-spiced peaches, 7 pints pickled green beans, 2 half-pints peach butter. 2 quarts fresh-pack honey-spiced peaches.
Crater Lake.
Time with friends.

Lowlights:
Doing dishes for all that canning.
Frost alerts Sunday and Monday night - blankets for the tomatoes.
Returning to work.

You go, quasi-frat-boy. :) Sorry to hear about your RED ALERT but since I nearly had frozen tomatoes, I don't feel too bad for you.

Anonymous said...

Saturday did nothing.

Sunday went to gym and shopping at mall for work clothes and a new blackberry.

Monday took my roommate bouldering at Carderock National Park then collapsed for the day.

Tues back to the grind.

Sweet Bird said...

I totally hear you about the cutting thing, except with me it's burning. I burn myself almost every day. Lame.

I'm impressed with the Amish prophecy, too.

Oh, and I got a job. Not the thing to do over a weekend, huh?

Anonymous said...

High school reunion?!!!! I expect a post about that.