Saturday, September 6, 2008

Attack of the Wild Eggplant

I would like to share something with you, so you may be prepared to defend yourself if the occasion should ever arise. I was not prepared, and was viciously attacked and injured. But forewarned is forearmed, so listen up.

Eggplants have thorns.

Yes. They may look all smooth and innocent in the store, but in the wild, eggplants are brutal. They have sharp little thorns, like a rose, on the stem above the fruit. I was not aware of this until yesterday when I went to harvest the eggplants from the garden (look at us, all Mediterranean!) and received a puncture wound to my thumb that hurts at this very moment. Little shits.

So now you know. Should you ever have the need to subdue a wild eggplant, wear gloves. If I can save one person from an eggplant attack by sharing my experience, my pain will not have been in vain.

Be safe out there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure your pain was not in vein? *snicker* sorry sorry bad joke. Couldn't resist.

Susan said...

I have feral eggplants and they did the same thing. And I liked your profile - I live with my mother-in-law, 2 kids, 4 chickens, 1 cat and husband, not in that order. I like to think of myself as Eva Gardner in Green Acres as am not managing the Laura Ingalls thing very gracefully.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Susan: Maybe I should watch Green Acres so I have a better role model. I'm not doing so well with the Laura Ingalls Wilder role--she never complained or shirked her duty, and what fun is that?

She also never swore . . .

MsPicketToYou said...

eggplants? i got one stinkin' pepper. i officially resign my attempts at gardening and will instead live (and eat) vicariously through you.

Tina Post said...

We just learned the same thing! I was not considerate enough to post a warning to the internets, though...

Jerome Quadros said...

Wild eggplants are supposed to be bitter, almost inedible!!!