Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Well-rounded


Lest you think that my life is all tomatoes, all the time, please view the photographic evidence to the contrary.

Although the tomatoes are making their bid for total garden domination, there are other crops still hanging in there, demanding to be noticed. Like green beans and beets.

We matter, too!

The chickens have taken up residence in Casa Gallina (yes, I am still impressed by my cleverness), which means their square footage has been greatly increased. It also means they can run into the far corner to get away from the camera-wielding weirdo (that would be me).

I spy with my little eye . . .

Chiiiiiicks!

You can't hide from the zoom, chickies.

I think at least half of them are roosters. Sucks for them. But yay for fried chicken!

And in more food news, last night I finally made Farmgirl Susan's Savory Tomato Pesto Pie, after staring at the recipe for a year. I added Finny's recommended sausage, because Everything Is Better with Meat. The crust is made from biscuits. I may refuse to make pie crusts, but I am a Biscuit Master (not to brag or anything) (except I just did). I think A. fell in love with me all over again when he saw not only a pie on the table, but a pie filled with sausage, cheese, and pesto (and tomatoes, but we're not talking about them). It was, predictably, delightful. And pretty. Check it.

Mmm, cheesy

Incidentally, you will never see one of those pretty food pictures with a nicely plated serving on this site. I'm not willing to stop to take a picture when there's food waiting to be eaten on my plate. My feeding time is more important than a good photo. So you'll just have to take what you get and quit yer bitchin'.

OH, ALL RIGHT. The tomatoes already snuck into this post, so I may as well just give in and let them hijack the next photo.

This is what I eat for breakfast pretty much every morning at this time of year.

This may be blurry because I was already reaching for the food.

Have I mentioned the MiL has begun making bread regularly? I encourage this activity, as it results in fresh homemade bread with no effort by me. Sweet! So that's the MiL's bread, toasted, with cream cheese, tomatoes, and salt and pepper. YUM.

And since I've already caved to the inescapable presence of the tomatoes, I may as well tell you I'm making salsa today. Let's hope I manage to keep the burning hot pepper juices out of my eyes.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

CHIIIIICKS! I'm so torn, because I LOVE fried chicken (and am planning to gorge on some this weekend at a family reunion), but...fuzzy little CHICKS! So cute!

I'll just keep pretending that all the chickens who died to make my delicious fried chicken were total jerks who never held the door open for old ladies.

Leslie said...

It's hard to read your blog in the morning and see the delicious pesto pie when all I have is a crummy yogurt. Man, I'm hungry now!

SaraPMcC said...

I want your breakfast. Seriously. All things I love: cream cheese, homegrown tomatoes, fresh baked bread toasted to deliciousness. I guess I'll just go back to munching on some cereal (which is tasty, but not nearly as good) while pretending to work. At least I have coffee.

wvfarmgirl said...

Lurker here.. felt the need to come out and say YUM! I've been living off BCT (bacon, chard, tomato) sammys for weeks. This morning as I was about to make a BCT for breakfast I remembered to read your blog (thanks for being one of the few that update in the mornings!). So instead I had a toasted mater, creamcheese and basil sandwhich. OMG! I'm now in lust for this sandwhich and need to go out and get more basil. Thanks!!!

Sweet Bird said...

That pie looks taaaasty...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Well, you are more than welcome, WVF. I am intrigued by the basil--that will probably go on my toast tomorrow.

Today I broke out of my breakfast rut and instead had a fried egg, with a piece of toast. And fried tomatoes, because no chance to use a tomato must go unpassed. But you know what? Eggs and tomatoes are SO GOOD together! Why did I not know this before?

It's me said...

You will be CANNING your salsa, won't you? And you'll share a delicious recipe, right?

I spent 4 months once living on nothing but a combination of Tillamook cheddar cheese, eggs, bread and tomatoes. Every meal was some combination of that. Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, egg salad sandwich with tomatoes, egg and cheese sandwich, tomatoes on toast...well you get the picture. Odd that I picked those foods as my "broke young person" foods.

me again said...

I am so jealous. I so want a toasted tomato sandwich right NOW and there is not a single damn tomato in the house. Yes, I could use the car to drive to the store to buy a tomato, but that just seems frivolous. However, frivolous might win if this tomato craving takes control! Thanks (I think) for making me go tomato-mad!

krysta said...

i'll help you cook, can, and clean. if you'll let me stay with you for a while. i haven't been on a vacation in a while and i'm strong with a good back and an excellent cook.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

A guest who helps me cook, can, and clean? BRING IT ON! Hey, maybe I could start a little vacation destination thing where people would come stay on the mini-farm and experience life in the country. We DO have . . . let's see . . . five extra bedrooms. Plenty of room for all!

It's me said...

I hope you're serious. How do you think Mary Jane's Farm got started? (well, sort of)

People would totally pay to live your life for a week. Just be careful about shattering their dreams or they may not return... but that said, make some moolah girl!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

No, I was not actually serious. I don't mind having friends and family come visit, but my worst nightmare would be running anything like a B&B and having people in my house all the time. I'm not that hospitable.

It's me said...

Maybe market it as "Life with a biotch farm chick" and they'll get the "real" farm life? :)

Think about it... wasn't Curly mean and crotchety on the movie with Billy Crystal when they went to the dude ranch? You could so play the "crabby caretaker" and they'd think you were acting! teee heeee

FinnyKnits said...

Nice job on the tomato WITH meat pie!

It is totally one of those meals that will make your man fall in love with you all over again. That's what happens here. When Bubba is crabby, incredible food always helps.

Also good: fried chicken, Bs & Gs, lemon wafers.

As though my sheer beauty weren't enough. Pee-shaw.

MsPicketToYou said...

um? i go away for three days or something, let other people feed me and house me and play with my kids. but you? you amaze me.